Saturday, July 19, 2008

When nature becomes an art.


Tasting tea, playing in the street: everything is a ritual!

Leaving the restaurant, Lu Fan takes us to a place where we find another part of his artistic work, that of a root sculptor. He has people bring him these huge roots and he sculpts characters on the inner part of them. It’s extraordinary the precision of the traits! When we’re done seeing his work, Lu Fan asks us to come see the work of a friend of his. With dad, we discover huge rocks and we find that he’s a great sculptor. In actual fact, these are rocks that he picks up from water. I never would have imagined that Mother Nature was such a good sculptor! While dad has a look at the other works of art, I call aunt Paricher to wish her a good trip since she is leaving Paris to go to Iran. When we have seen everything, Lu Fan accompanies us to a teashop downtown. Dad goes in and I see him observing the slightest tea, like an oenologist in a wine cellar. The woman there suggests that we try some and that is what dad does. Dad tells me that tea in China is like wine in France. He asks how much costs the most expensive tea in the store, and the answer is 1600 euros the kilo! He turns towards me and says “that’s their Château La Tour” and I find that quite funny. Since dad loves tea, he sits down and asks to taste a tea he knows quite well. And since I am his son, I do as he does and drink for the first time 14 bowls of tea in a row. I tell him that I will be drunk on tea and that tomorrow in France, in the miscellaneous pages of “Le Parisien”, one will read:“In Xian, China, a Parisian named Delazad Deghati got drunk on tea”.

No comments: