Saturday, July 19, 2008

Arriving in Xian


Welcome

Today, fast asleep and rocked by the train, I dream that I am saving a group of children from the hands of a serial killer, but then dad shakes me awake because my phone is ringing. I am not very happy! I’m not sure he knew I was sleeping! I try to fall back asleep, but each time dad shakes me awake for some reason until we reach Xian. Then, we have to take our entire luggage. On top of that, I am tired. To get off the train, we wait until everyone has left so as to not feel as though we were in an anthill. We get off quietly, pretty much alone, until we are approached by a man in his forties, who does everything to gain our trust and wants to become our guide. Since he realizes that we don’t really need him, he leaves and then we see that a friend of Jianping’s (my cousin’s husband who gave me a contact in Xian) sent one of his students to hold a sign with REZA DEGHATI written on it. It’s funny to see such a sign waiting just for us at this station in Xian.

No comments: