Monday, July 21, 2008

Last night in Xian



A local market under the rain

We go back to the Hui neighborhood, but we take little alleyways that eventually lead us to an impressive market with things being sold on every side; dad takes some pictures. We arrive in front of a restaurant that Mr. Li had chosen and we order a regional dish: Chinese dumplings. They are different in Xian from the ones we find in France: the meat is fresh and not frozen. The meal over, we get up and leave. Dad, who loves tea, goes into a teashop to send some back to France. It will take a while to choose. Since my friend says that his dream job is to become a scientist we ask him if he’ll ever get a Nobel Prize. He in turn answers that it’s every scientist’s dream. Dad tells him an Iranian poem in English that says that the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. He asks to have that sentence translated into Chinese. Then, it’s a group photo and farewells. We go up to the room and since I can’t walk anymore because my shoes are soaked with water, I take a bath and it sooths me. I check my emails and see that I’ve received new photos of my little cousins that are growing really fast and I’m happy. I’m even happier when my cousin gives me the green light to go visit her in Canada in November. Now all I need in the green light from mom. After, I ask for news from my mother by SMS who is in the south of France, in Provence. And then I write my text, talk with mom and go to bed.

No comments: