Friday, July 25, 2008

Birds island




Men choice

Few kilometers from there, a restaurant sells a kind of fish banned from fishing because if its rarity. We take one and during the entire meal, we have to hurry to avoid problems with the police. Little episode less rejoicing when traveling: toilets!! There, it’s a hole behind a wall where lie all the organic trash of the people that went before me. Frankly, when you’re not used to it, it’s not easy. I find dad to talk about today’s journey. In the end, we decide that it would be better to stop somewhere before Zhangye for the night and continue the journey tomorrow. Dad thinks it’s time to call Ghazi, an Ouigour painter and a friend of dad’s that advised against traveling with a Chinese interpreter, since Xinjiang was , like Tibet, invaded by China so the Ouigour see the Chinese as invaders. We take the road for “Bird Island”, one of the most touristy places in the area. Liu Jia goes to buy 5 tickets and the fee for crossing by car. She comes back and tells us that we would have to pay the astronomical sum of 50.5 Euros! I look at dad and he says that according to our budget, it would be better to meet people for free than birds that come at a cost. We continue our journey and eventually stop for a drink. An hour from “Bird Island” we meet another Tibetan family. A little 4 year-old boy starts to run, jump, climb on top of the tent and do summersaults. We get along well. He shows me games he’s lucky to be able to play, since he lives in nature. Little, I used to say that I didn’t want to live in Paris, but in nature. After a while, unfortunately, one gets used to the city. The little boy is quite small and has blood red cheeks from the fresh air. He has a Tibetan parent and a Mongolian parent. Then, I take out my computer to write. Close to a tent, in the fresh mountain air, I write the previous day’s text. Since it’s cold, I take my PC and warm up with a cup of Yak butter tea. And then I see the little one run, for a reason I don’t know. A few minutes later, he comes back with a kitten in his arms and gives it to Liu Jia. Before leaving, Liu Jia gives him a little toy and something to eat.

No comments: